Welcome to our website !

Childhood BFF

By Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The thought of being positive does work, I think. I warned myself to be positive otherwise I will kick my own ass :P After a week of hell from eating dead cat, something happy happened and really made my day. Just after I reached home the other day from airport, I received a facebook message from somebody who is not in my friend list. As usual I don't entertain or approve strangers. So before I delete the message, I looked at the name over and over again to recall whether I know this person. The weird thing is he knows my full name, spelled correctly! After browsing through his albums, ahaa… he is my best friend from primary school! I was having a hard time to recognise him because he put on some weight, we all did I guess. The moment I found out the guy is him, I was so delighted. Then we started messaging at facebook, catching up on each other’s life. He is married and will be expecting his first baby very soon. Congratulations banyak banyak Hafiz!!

From our message conversation, I’ve come to know that another of our best friend is in his friend list. There were actually five of us back then. I will talk about that further later on. I quickly browse through his friend list. To my surprise, he sent a friend request to me very long time ago and I didn’t approve it *smack head* As I said I don’t approve strangers ma. After accepting his request, my detective mode turned on and I started to browse through his photos, try to find out what’s his job, married or not, who is the wife etc. We actually liked each other during primary. Detail story later hahaha.. I dropped him a message to say hi and asked whether he still remember me and what’s with the name at his facebook. Last night, I received his reply and this is what he said “mesti ingt...kekasih lama..hahaha..still nama shahrul lagi..skrg di mana?dh kahwn?”. All the old memories flashed back and it feels so good that after 20 years, I’m able to find back all my best friends back at primary. What is good about that is they remember me as much as I remember them :D

Now let’s start the story telling time. Back at the year of 1989 (I hope I got the year right. I’m actually counting my fingers lol), I was one of the very few Chinese girl in the school. I was in Red class which was considered the second best class. The top class is always Yellow colour. In the beginning, I was having a hard time in class because I couldn’t understand BM. But all my classmates love me (probably because I’m the only Chinese in the class) and they started talking to me although I didn’t understand a thing hahaha.. I guess we were communicating using body language but somehow we managed to communicate. It’s wonderful how kids communicate to each other despite the language barrier. There’s this girl from my class who really liked me. Feel bad that I’ve forgotten her name  She adored everything I did, even the way I kept my pencils, ruler and eraser in the pencil case lol.

After 2 years in the Red class, I managed to climb up to the Yellow class in Standard 3. I had a Chinese best friend but at the same time I mixed with my Malay friends a lot. I started to join Pancaragam because I love music and performance. I couldn’t recall whether it was in Standard 5 or 6 that the five of us, 3 girls 2 guys formed our best friends circle. All of them are Malays and I was the only Chinese. All of us were in the same Pancaragam group and we were all school prefect. Two of them were actually the Head Prefect (Shahrul and Mai). Hence, everyone thought that they were the perfect match, bagai pinang dibelah dua :P At the same time, I had a crush on Shahrul too. I did feel that he liked me too lah.. from the way he treated me but we never confront each other though. Kids ma..

We will travel by bus all the way to Shahrul’s house to lepak or to Farhana’s big bungalow, just lying on the grass compound looking at the sky. Her brothers were super good looking ok. While we were lying on the grass, we came out with the idea of calling each other Ah Long, Ah Ngah and so on, like a family. Imagine how good friends we were.

I remember Hafiz once asked me, how I want my bf propose to me. I told him that I want to open a florist in the future and I hope my bf will come to my shop one day, bought a bouquet of white tulips, kneel down and ask me to marry him. He was like “Awhhh.. so romantic”. Of course that is only a childhood dream la. But I still wish to own a shop though.

In Standard 6, I already started to have acne problem. The pessimistic me started to grow from then. Thankfully, my best friends were always there for me. I told Hafiz that I felt very shy with my acne but he asked me not to worry, I will be all pretty again when I grown up. True or not, I really thanked him for being so encouraging. The day when UPSR results were announced, we were so nervous we hold each other hands hoping that we all got straight A’s. Mai and Shahrul both got 4A’s, can’t remember what Farhana and Hafiz got though. I was the last one being announced to get 4A’s. On the last day of school, we were really sad, me especially. All of us will be going to a different path. I won’t be able to see Shahrul anymore huhuhu.. He called me after a week or so and I was really surprised by his call. He asked me where I will be studying, I asked him the same. After that call, we’d never seen or call each other anymore. So did the rest of us.

It’s amazing how online networking connects people. It has been 20 years and we’ve found each other again. Today, all of us are married, some with kids, some are expecting a newborn. We live a different life now but the friendships and memories that we have, never dies. To my best friends, Shahrul, Hafiz, Farhana and Mai, I wish all of you the best of everything. Thank you for being a big part of my childhood memories. Cheers.



p.s. Next up, the result of my two weeks gym effort ;)









You Might Also Like

2 love notes

Powered by Blogger.