Hakka Abacus Seeds (算盘子)
Despite my getting 'bigger and bigger' baby bump, I have been spending a lot of time in the kitchen during the weekends. It is the only time I can satisfy my pregnancy cravings by cooking/baking/making all the food that I craved for. I have to admit that I have a very particular tastebud and I can be very picky at times.
Recently, I'm craving for certain Chinese traditional kuih/dish/dessert. Hakka Abacus Seeds is one of them. I'd only tasted Hakka Abacus Seeds a few times, including the one from a very famous stall at PJ Old Town. Unfortunately, none of them comes close to what I envisioned the taste to be.
I'd never thought of making Hakka Abacus Seeds if not because of my craving. I think it requires a lot of techniques in order to make a tasty, soft, springy but not too chewy abacus seeds. The side fillings have to be flavourful and delicious to complement the abacus seeds.
After studying a few recipes online, I sorta have an idea what are the required ingredients as well as the methods of making the dish. However, I did not follow exactly any of the recipes due to a few reasons. Firstly, I used the balanced yam from my Steamed Yam Cake (芋头糕) (which I will write next) whereby the size differed from any of the recipes. Hence, I can't follow the ingredients measurement. Secondly, I follow my own 'recipes' for the marinate and seasonings according to my preferences. Anyway, that's the sole purpose of making my own right? ;)
Here is my very first attempt of Hakka Abacus Seeds.
I gave this a taste test the moment I finished cooking it and it is really delicious! Immediately I gave some to my neighbour ;) To my surprise, neighbours also compliment the dish and asked me for the recipe.
Too bad that I do not have the exact recipe to share because I was more like 'agak-agak' when it comes to Chinese traditional dishes/kuih/dessert. I guess that is the good thing with Chinese cuisine especially kuih. It depends on 'feel' more than the recipe itself. That was what my Grandma said at least.
Anyway, if anybody is interested on the ingredients that I used and how did i 'agak' (guess) throughout the process and make it work, do let me know.
Happy cooking!

0 love notes