Chocolate Sables
This year Chinese New Year will be a special one because we are expecting an additional family member to celebrate along ;) Knowing my expected delivery date is somewhere around Chinese New Year, or most probably much earlier, I had started my Chinese New Year bakings since early of January. Considering that I'm still working and only free to bake after work or weekends, I had to really plan it out so that the cookies/ snacks will be all ready for Chinese New Year before I go for labour.
I have a super long list of cookies and snacks to be accomplished this year. Some of the cookies which I baked last year didn't turn out as good as I wished. Therefore, I am still on a quest to search for the best cookies recipes which I can reuse year after year.
One of the recipe which I had copied for a very long time is this Chocolate Sable from uTry.it. What caught my attention is the beautifully shaped cookies that looks so 'dark' and chocolatey. Another good thing with this recipe is it only uses egg whites, which is a good way to finish off the remaining egg whites from other bakings that use egg yolks for glazing.
This recipe is very quick and easy. I used normal cocoa powder from baking supplies shop instead of a branded one because I don't fancy super bitter chocolatey taste. The cookies taste good, not too sweet. I am sure it will taste better if using better quality cocoa powder, and maybe reduce it slightly it is too bitter. The only let down is the shape of the cookies become flat while baking. It could be I over beat the butter, or the butter in the mixture melted due to the hot weather, or my oven temperature. So instead of pretty flowers, I get flat flowers :( Nevertheless, the cookies is still good.
Chocolate Sables (recipe from uTry.it)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 sticks (10oz) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- a pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granulate, dissolved in 1 teaspoon of hot water
- 4 tablespoons lightly beaten egg whites (from around 2 extra large eggs)
- around 1/2 cup chocolate chips (topping the cookies and some to snack on)
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper, set aside.
- In a tall plastic mug, prepare a pastry bag, fitted with a large swirl/star tip (I used Wilton 1M), set aside. In a mixing bowl, whisk flour and cocoa powder together, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater (or use a large mixing bowl with a hand held mixer), on low speed, beat the butter, powdered sugar and salt. When ingredients are well mixed, turn mixer to medium high speed and beat until light and fluffy. (Start with low speed so you don’t cover yourself and the kitchen with powdered sugar!)
- Then, add the coffee mixture and egg white and beat until well incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Turn mixer on low and slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Transfer the dough to the prepared pastry bag.
- Pipe dough onto prepared baking sheet. You can simply pipe an 1-inch rounds, 1-inch apart. Or, pipe dough with the “infinity” shape (like a horizontal 8) 1 by 2-inch size. Top with a piece of chocolate chip in the middle of each piped dough.
- Bake 1-inch rounds for 10 minutes and 1 by 2-inch “8” shapes for 12 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheet over wire rack until warm to handle. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store in air tight containers.
I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover.
More Chinese New Year bakings posts coming up. Hope you will not be annoyed! :P

0 love notes